Monday, October 26, 2009

New surface plate

After working on scraping for a while, I figured out that I would much prefer a bit larger surface plate. I figured an 18" x 24" would be about perfect. They are not that expensive at Enco, but they cost more to ship than to buy, since they weigh close to 200 pounds. So, I created a search on Ebay for surface plated within a reasonable driving distance and in no time at all a Starrett Crystal Pink 18x24 showed up in a small town just south of here and I picked it up for $88. As far as I can tell, it's in perfect shape and even includes the hard plastic cover. I used the hoist to get it out of the truck, then managed to get it up the few steps and into the kitchen, and that's where it remains, next to the pantry on a furniture platform. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it downstairs to the basement.

I've had next to no time to work on anything lately. Work has just consumed every minute. I spent a little while last weekend and managed to do some more scraping on the cross slide top, which is close to right. Then I'll move on to the dovetails again. I still can't seem to get the scraper to cut as cleanly as I would like, even though I am used all diamond sharpeners. But, it does get it incredibly flat, just maybe not as pretty as I would like. Actually, the only scraped area that may show is the top of the cross slide and I'll likely paint that, anyway, leaving only the area under the compound unpainted.

No comments:

Post a Comment