Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tailstock pedestal shelves are done

I finished the tailstock pedestal shelves. They are mahogany with quite a few coats of wipe-on polyurethane. I screwed them blind from the bottom so no hardware shows. If I ever have to remove them I'll have to either lift the lathe really high or remove the pedestal. I don't know why they did not originally have a bottom shelf.

I fixed some imperfections in the chip tray finish and re-coated those places. I've found it's best to let the paint dry two whole days before over coating. I've had some problems when I repaint after only one day. So, I'll do the final paint on the chip tray on Sunday. I also worked on the risers. They have a very rough finish on them, so I'm smoothing it with body filler to get a super smooth, shiny finish. Again, I think this will make it easier to keep clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment