Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bed is primed

I got to a coat of primer on the lathe bed today. The hardest part was smoothing the ports. The casting is actually rather rough and the ports are not always even. I used body filler to smooth them out. I ordered some Evercoat Rage Gold and found it much easier to use. I've tried several body fillers including Bondo, Napa lightweight filler, and USC Body Icing. In general, I've learned not to go to an auto parts store to buy body filler. The professional stuff is just so much better. It mixes easier and is much smoother and easier to apply. And, it sands so much easier than the other stuff I used. The USC Body Icing is probably good stuff, but I think the tube I got from Napa was very old. It should be thin, but mine was thicker than Bondo and too hard to use. I bought some Evercoat glaze to use as well. Also much better than the tube of old body icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment