Thursday, August 13, 2009

Rack and risers

It was very messy, but the rack cleaned up nicely and has been mounted. I hit the screw heads with a polishing wheel and it all looks brand new. I then mounted the risers and the bed is complete and ready to drop onto the pedestals. This picture also shows the name plate in place.

I spent quite a bit of time with a Scotch-brite pad and WD-40 polishing up the bare metal and ways on the bed. They all came out very clean. It's an older machine, so there are lots of nicks on the top of the ways and inside corners, but all bearing surfaces, the ones that really count, are very smooth and clean. There was a bit of rust, but it was all surface rust and did not pit or anything.

The next adventure is going to be getting the bed onto the pedestals. I need to make an Enco order first, though, to get some new rubber to replace the tailstock riser gasket. I can make one as nice as the original one.

No comments:

Post a Comment