Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Restoring it's identity

While I had the bed on the hydraulic table, I rolled it under the drill press and mounted the name plate. I cleaned it up the best I could, and it looks pretty nice, nicer than the picture on this blog. I'll likely update that picture at some point.

I drilled and tapped two 6-32 holes. The nameplate was originally mounted with rivets, which I had to grind off to remove it. There was also an inventory tag I discarded. I figure screws will look nicer and make it easier to remove should I want to do so.

Note the neat crossed lasers on the drill press. They are not always perfect and I need to adjust them a bit more, but they really made it easy to get this heavy bed and table lined up under the drill press head. Then I could drill and tap without worrying about breaking a tap off in the hole. I'm not power-tapping, BTW. There's a spring-loaded tap guide in the drill chuck that keeps the tap centered.

1 comment:

  1. Will be interested to see th end product and how it functions
    E.l.

    ReplyDelete