Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bed getting closer

I was away from the project for a while due to work, but spent some time the past few days on the lathe bed. I sprayed a guide coat over the primer and let that sit for a day, then sanded all of it off. It's a good way to ensure the entire surface is smooth. Then I put a new coat of primer. You can see how shiny even the primer is in the ports, now. Lots of body filler and sanding and the surface is very smooth now and ready to proceed to the final paint coat.

I've picked up a Cushman 8" 4-jaw chuck and L-00 spindle protector on eBay. The Chuck is very nice; looks like it's hardly been used and I paid less than I would for a backing plate alone. I also bought a 5C collet adapter for a 5418 lathe. The main reason to buy that was to get the elusive 4 1/2MT to 5C collet adapter. I also have a thread protector that does not fit and a closer that is a bit short. I can extend the closer and found the right thread protector in another auction. What is interesting to me is that I paid less than half the price for the adapter and other items as someone else just paid for just hte adapter. eBay can be a bit nuts at time. I also bought a Clausing nameplate. I have the one the lathe came with, but this is a bit later generation and I think the casting is nicer, so I'm going to swap it in. The price wasn't very high and I was the only bidder.

No comments:

Post a Comment