Monday, May 4, 2009

Getting it home

I rented a Uhaul trailer and drove to Elkhart, Indiana (about two hours) to pick the lathe up. I got it very cheaply from a dealer who was going to part it out. The variable speed drive is dead, but I'm planning on putting in a variable frequency drive, anyway, so I'll just drop the entire system. I'm still not sure about losing the clutch and brake though.

It was incredibly filthy when I got it. The grime was so thick in places that I could not even pressure wash it off. Most everything is here. The threading chart is gone and I need some minor parts here and there. Getting it off the trailer was an experience. I've never tried to move 1000 pounds around like this before. I bought the requisite engine hoist, but it would not reach far enough to get to the center of gravity of the lathe. I had to push it to the end and then lift it over the tailgate. Next time I'll know to push it onto the tailgate and then just lift it off, but had to start somewhere, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment