Monday, May 4, 2009

Selecting a lathe

I've always wanted to try metalworking, so I did what so many people have done before: I bought a minimill and a 9x20 lathe from Harbor Freight. I have mixed feelings about these machines. On the one hand they are very cheap and can do good work. On the other hand, they are really poorly made and I mean REALLY POORLY MADE. They are just this side of junk. So, I decided I wanted something more substantial. I've not found a good choice for a milling machine (I can't get a Bridgeport to my basement), but there are lots of great American-made lathes around. After looking around, I found myself most attracted to the Clausing 4900 and 5900 series lathes. I almost bought a 4900 locally. Then I found a 5914 in Elkhart, Indiana which I bought and have launched into restoring. I'll try to write about some of my experiences as I go along. The picture is the one I was sent of the machine from the used equipment dealer. Yep, it's filthy, but it's a solid machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment