Saturday, May 30, 2009

Returning to the project

I was away from the project for a week vacation, then another week to recover from the vacation, but I'm back to it now. I spent some time with body filler getting a nice fillet in the corners by the headstock. The welds there were pretty rough and I figure this looks much nicer and will be easier to keep clean. Here it is with a coat of primer on it.

I also finished the headstock pedestal and I'm about done with the tailstock pedestal. I'm still learning the best process. Here's what I'm doing now for a nice finish:
  1. Use body filler to smooth out any major scratches and other issues. I've also done a bit of grinding to smooth out some welds.
  2. Prime with the Rust-o-leum industrial primer. I'm usually doing four very light coats a few minutes apart. Wait overnight for this to dry.
  3. Sand the primer. This shows any issues pretty well and I can do more body filler and more sanding if needed. I've often had to repeat this process to get a smooth finish.
  4. Four coats of the Rust-o-leum industrial almond. Again, very light coats with a few minutes between. Let dry 24 hours.
  5. Wet sand the paint with 320 or 400 grit paper. I know this seems course, but I'm putting on another coat.
  6. Four more coats of paint. Again, dry overnight.
  7. Wet sand with 800 grit paper.
  8. Four coats of Rust-o-leum industrial crystal clear. Dry overnight.
  9. Wet sand with 600, 800, 1000, and 1500 grit paper. I found I had to start with a courser grit to smooth out the clear. It's pretty tough, but you have to be careful not to sand through anywhere. If you sand through, go back to almond and catch up!
  10. Rubbing compound, then polish.
I've found this gives me a nice high-gloss finish. It takes a while, but looks really good. The clear is very hard, you can't easily sand it off, so I hope it will better protect the finish from the ravages of machining in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment