Friday, July 24, 2009

Amidst spending the day trying to get doors to open and close in a virtual world, I took some time out to work on the lathe bed and badges. Sanding with 80 grit wet sandpaper brings the Clausing name to light very well. I still need to do a bit more. The newer badge I bought was a big rough in places and needed to be sanded down to get all of the edges really crisp. I'm close, but still need to sand some more. Once I'm happy with them, I'll give them a coat of the Rustoleum Crystal Clear to protect them.

The lathe bed and risers have been painted. The risers turned out great, as did most of the bed, but the paint blistered inside each of the four ports. I have no idea why. I sanded them down and put a coat of Almond on them today and will have to wait a couple days to try again on the final coat after some more wet sanding. I think I may have tried to put the paint on a bit too thick in the ports since you end up shooting from the top and the bottom. Hardest part is trying to avoid messing up the paint I'm really happy with. You can see the towel I put in the bed to keep overspray off the top of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment