Friday, July 17, 2009

Mucho painting...

UPS hath delivered and I am stocked back up on paint. I did a quick smooth sanding of the risers and the bed and shot on a couple coats of new primer and several coats of the almond. At last the bed is the right color. In a couple days I can wet sand and add another coat and the clear and maybe by next weekend be able to put the pedestals, chip tray, risers, and bed all together in the basement. It will finally start to look like a lathe again after all of this time. I won't be immediately assembling. I do need to reinstall the gear rack and the label first, but that won't take too much time.
I included 50 sheets of 320 grit sandpaper in this last order. I used to always buy sandpaper at Home Depot, but for the price of about 3 of those five sheet packages, I can order in 50 sheets and then you don't feel like you're about to run out of sandpaper all of the time. This project has really restocked my sandpaper collection. I like Enco for waterproof paper, but buy the courser paper from Auto Body Toolmart instead. The quality of the Mirka paper is so much better than any I've found elsewhere and is expecially better than the stuff you buy at Home Depot.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you use aerosol spray bombs to paint your lathe? Thanks!

      Delete